Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Repost: Weight Loss Tips.

Welcome tweeters and everyone! Contact me if you need some inspiration for improving your wellness and fitness as well as enhancing your surroundings. As a generalist, not an expert, I keep trying new things. This is my fourth career path and I like to say, at least my eighth endeavor. Ask me about transitions from fashion model and finishing school teacher, insurance adjuster, single parent/college student, federal investigator, jewelry artist, writer, traveler, and lots in between and since. I think some keys to unlocking potential for happiness and wellbeing are maintaining a sense of humor as well as skepticism about irrational beliefs, and adopting healthy lifestyles for mind and body. No surprises there, but easier said than done, right?


And passing healthy habits on to our children.  I love this shot of my son, Major Shayne, the Air Force C130 navigator, and me in the beautiful rarified air of our Colorado high country.

My life long attempt to be healthy and not overweight and my biology background have taught me a few things. Once you get on a role moving your body everyday in exercises that are more than your normal daily routine and increasing your intake of vegetables and whole grains, you will see a renewed vigor and eventually, increased metabolism. Sure, genetics are important in body type, but everyone can reduce their fat dramatically with easy steps. DO NOT deprive yourself, DO NOT fast, and DO NOT go on a "diet". These are primarily created for someone to make money. Just learn to count calories and stick to 1200 to 1400 healthy calories a day to lose up to two pounds per week. Contact me if you need inspiration and details.

So here's a simple low tech. tip. Go buy a book that lists how many calories are in every food. Study the foods you eat and like. Eat more of the low cal and less of the high. Stay around 1200 a day to lose weight. If you slip one day, make up for it the next. It has worked for me for over 40 years. Trust me!!

Another tip you probably already know. Drink lots of water. We often mistake thirst for hunger, especially in our dry climate. Most of us don't experience real hunger. When you think you want to eat, try drinking a glass of water and see if that satisfies. Not soda, tea, coffee, or alcohol, but good old water. Most people are somewhat dehydrated (a major cause of headaches). Your body will thank you and after a while you will recognize your bodies craving for moisture, not food. Like a pump, the water flushes dead cells and impurities out and hydrated cells don't cling to water, so you will eliminate swelling.

Here's a tip about the most glorious of meals...breakfast. This is a no brainer. Don't skip it and don't eat processed sugar foods like pastries or donuts. Eat whole grains, fruit, and protein and your body will be set for a day of healthy eating. Sugar foods just spike your blood sugar, which then plummets, sapping your energy and making you think you are hungry for more sugar. Stop excuses about can't eat in the am and just start doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment